8.17.2014

the balance.

When I first decided to start this little space and get back to blogging, I was nearing the end of my maternity leave. We were adjusting (and we still are) to being new parents since Mac was only a couple months old. I had a list of unknowns and questions I found myself asking about how our normal routine would be once I went back to work that I wrote about in this post. I knew at the time of writing the post that "we'd figure it out" as people told me, (ps: thanks for the tough love people) but the unknown is always a little nerve racking.

I've been back at work now for 6 weeks, and I think we're adjusting just fine. Mac is loving daycare, and mommy is enjoying being back in the office. We've found a good balance, but as with anything there's always room for improvement. We're "figuring it out" and it's working well so far! I have to take a moment to brag on my husband because I could not do it without him, and that's a fact. He's my biggest supporter and helper. He helps with our morning routine, and on most days he's the one who picks Mac up from daycare. He also helps in the evenings when it comes to bath and bedtime. Basically whatever needs to be done or where ever he's needed, he's there. He's a very hands-on daddy, and for that I am grateful. Becoming parents has made our relationship grow, and also forced us to communicate better. We've always made a good team, but parenthood has made us even better teammates!

I'm coming up on my one year work anniversary, and I couldn't be more happy with the decision I made to make a career change. Leaving a workplace I was at for 5+ years was not easy but as Pastor Craig preached one weekend last year, "sometimes it's easier to stay when it's better to go." When I was contemplating making the change and feelings of fear would come over me, I would hear that line from his message in the back of my head. Over the past year I have grown not only in my personal life, but also in my career. I've learned new things, conquered new challenges, and have done things I didn't know I was capable of doing. I've advanced far beyond what I ever imagined I'd be able to do in a year. (mind you, 12 weeks of being on maternity leave)  
source
I came to the conclusion while being on maternity leave that staying at home wasn't for me. I cherished every minute I was able to have with Mac during those 12 weeks, but I also looked forward to returning to work. After being back in the office and in the swing of things again, I still feel the same way and I will not ever allow myself to feel guilty for being a working mother. For me, having a career helps me keep life in balance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment