6.20.2014

Mommy Talk: things I would've liked to know.

Being a first time mom, I'm learning new things almost every day! However, there are things that I now know about pregnancy, labor, childbirth, caring for a baby, etc. that I would have really liked to have been warned about. I think some women hold back information to keep from "scaring" first time mommies, but let's be real it would've been nice to know some of these things. I mean once it's "go time" there's really no turning back.

This is my list of the most shocking and surprising things that happened to me at the end of my pregnancy, labor, post delivery, and the first few weeks at home. When I talked about these things with other mommy friends, they acted like it was completely normal. There was always a part of me that really wanted to say, well that would've been nice to know! So I'm sharing these things, and let's get to it...

A question I often asked when the end of my pregnancy was nearing, and I've been ask by other mommy to be friends is, what does a contraction feel like? The best way I know how to describe it is like severe period cramps. Let me put it this way- you'll know if it's go time! 

Another question women often ask is, will I know if my water breaks? I asked this question too. Statistics say that only like 12% of women's water actually breaks on it's own. My co-workers were scared to death my water was going to break at work, but thankfully that never happened! YES dear, you will know if your water breaks! There will not be a doubt in your mind. It's kind of like a water balloon popping. I don't know how to describe it except, weird!

The hear say about how you don't get to eat while in labor, it's true! No food or drink, not even water. The no water was the shocker for me. They only give you ice chips and popsicles. So if you can stomach it, eat on your way to the hospital because it could like a whole day before you get real food again. 

Sorry this may be a little TMI, but I would've liked to know. Post delivery, you bleed. A LOT. Yes, I knew I was going to bleed for a month or more after baby, but no one told me I would think I might be bleeding to death the first few days postpartum. I also was never warned that my first shower after giving birth would look like something from a horror movie or a murder scene. Apparently this is completely normal. My nurse told me that I should only be concerned if I saw clots bigger than the size of an egg. Excuse me? Yeah, I looked at her like she'd lost it too... once I went to the bathroom I then understood what she was talking about. The extra thick, super long, overnight protection, maxi pads (like these) will be your best friend for a few weeks. It's almost like you and your baby both have to wear a diaper. Lol. But seriously. 

It's very difficult to pee after birth. Now for those of you that are a badass and can do the whole natural labor thing, this might not be true. But for us normal people who get anesthesia, when they take the cath out it's like you're 3 years old again and you can't pee when you're told to. Yes, you drink TONS of water but it's still hard to go. You sit, run sink water, gulp down water from your big cup, sit some more, drink some more... but when you do finally go, it's just like when you're 3 and everyone celebrates. Well really just you and your nurse, because she's glad you she doesn't have to cath you again and you're glad that you bladder is functioning normal.

The things you said you would never wear, granny panties and a nightgown, will be your best friend. The ugly granny panties are the only thing your ginormous maxi pad will fit comfortably in. Some ladies rave about the mesh panties from the hospital, but I personally wasn't a fan. Everyone has their own personal preference. I also wasn't a fan of the hospital maxi pads and was glad I had packed my own. I've also heard wonderful things about the "ice pads" they give you, but since I ended up having to have a c-section I didn't need those.

You will fall in love with your husband all over again. We often hear this, and it is true. The things he will do for you after you give birth to his child are things you never imagined you'd ever need help with until you were at least 80. Like helping you get your panties on because you're so sore that you can't bend over. He will be so much more awesome than you ever imagined. And seeing him so proud with that sweet baby in his arms will melt your heart!

Unfortunately, there's no instruction book that comes with this tiny human. The hospital keeps you a night or two, and then they send you on your way. You're just supposed to know what to do. {And you will. Your motherly instincts will kick in, and you'll be a pro in no time.} You're told when it cries that it's usually time to do one of two things, a diaper change or time to eat. I learned that usually it's both. On a side note- change their diaper first, and then feed them! This way when they fall asleep with a full belly you can put them back down. 

Once you're home, and reality starts to set in there will be good days and bad days, along with good nights and rough nights. Getting down a routine takes a little bit of time, just be patient! {This was extremely difficult for me to do because I need like routine.} There will be days you go without a shower because baby will be so needy. There will also be days where all you can do is cry with baby because you have no idea what he/she wants since you've tried everything you know to do.

BE FLEXIBLE. I cannot say this enough, especially if you're a planner like myself. It's best to not stress and just go with flow. I like to say to have no plan, but I know first hand that's easier said than done. I was dead set that I was going to have a vaginal birth and breastfeed my baby boy. Well, things didn't go as planned and I didn't get to have a vaginal birth or breastfeed. He would never latch, so this mommy was an exclusive pumper, and had to supplement too. But it all worked out, and this momma has a happy, healthy, baby boy.

With that all being said, you'll more than likely do it all over again when it's time for baby #2! Some people say you'll forget about it, but I highly doubt that. Being a mommy is the very best thing you'll ever do! Your home will be filled with more love, joy, tears, laughs, and poop than you ever imagined. It's not easy, but it's totally worth it!

1 comment:

  1. This is a PERFECT explanation. I have been totally honest about most of these things with my friends bc I wish I had been prepared! Thank you for sharing :)
    Emily Copsey

    ReplyDelete